Thursday, November 1, 2007

Darcy Dare, 2007, ink with digital color.

Architect Eliel Saarinen said, "Always design a thing by considering it in its next larger context—a chair in a room, a room in a house, a house in an environment, an environment in a city plan."

Darcy's current story, her larger context, is much about legacy so I tried to keep that in mind as I drafted the image above.

Larger context of a different kind: At the dawn of the 21st Century, I drew Darcy Dare in my wife's notebook. Since that time Darcy's appeared in a paper miniatures set (2002) and a short-lived proposal for an animated series (2004).

5 comments:

  1. Remind me, does Miss Dare sing or play an instrument?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are we going to see a story with her? A comic?

    ReplyDelete
  3. migelyn: What an interesting question! I don't suppose it was inspired by her coat, which happens to resemble apparel suitable both for a 19th-Century soldier and for a 21st-Century drum major? In any case, I've yet to consider Darcy's musical inclinations. Offhand I'd say she might play a brass or wind instrument or, perhaps, some piano.

    monkeyfeather: Oh, I think you'll see a story eventually, John. A comic does seem the most likely format. Nothing in progress at the moment, however.

    stevelambe and rick cortes: Hey, thanks for peeking, you fine fellows. Hope you're both well.

    ReplyDelete