Monday, August 29, 2011

087. Amethyst Fifty-Too!

yesterday's princess

Amethyst, Goddess of Gemworld, 2011, mixed media.

Above is my submission to DC FIFTY-TOO, a collection of covers for comics you won't be seeing during the relaunch of DC's entire line of comics this fall. The collection was conceived and curated by Washington-based cartoonist and fine fellow Jon Morris. Thanks for inviting me to the fun, Jon!

As you may know, I have a fondness for Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld, the DC fantasy title from the Eighties, hence the subject of my submission. It was tempting to take Amethyst back to her teenage "magical princess" years in my imagined relaunch, but I challenged myself to work more or less within her main continuity.

Here's the write-up that accompanied my submission:

Much time has passed since young Amy Winston was a mere Princess of Gemworld. In her desperate struggles against the tyrant Dark Opal, the Flaw and the Child, and the archsorcerer Mordru, Amy drew upon the planet’s limitless energies, becoming an avatar of Gemworld itself.
Now, a lifetime away from Earth, Amy shields the inhabitants of Gemworld from menaces beyond time and space. She is AMETHYST, GODDESS OF GEMWORLD!
Amethyst created by Dan Mishkin, Gary Cohn, and Ernie Colón. Original Amethyst logo by Todd Klein. Amethyst, the distinctive likenesses thereof, and related elements are trademarks of DC Comics.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jon,

    Your Amethyst contribution to the DC Fifty-Too is pretty awesome, and added some perspective to my kid themed comics blog post. Great jopb!

    Thanks,

    Wayne

    ReplyDelete